The History of Douglasdale Dairy
A Working Dairy For Over 70 Years
Douglasdale Dairy is located in the heart of Sandton on the Douglasdale farm.
Scottish born, Thomas Douglas settled in South Africa in 1890 with his wife, Janet Alexander.
They bought a farm on the Klein Jukskei River in Johannesburg and named it the Douglasdale farm.
The farmhouse, one of the oldest homes in Sandton, was built in 1905.
In 1930 the family started producing milk as a hobby and in 1940 they began to retail their milk and produced 240 bottles of milk a day, by hand.
In the 1950's, Douglasdale milk was delivered by horse and cart and later by delivery men on bicycles.
Today the dairy produces 1.5% of the total country's daily milk production. Douglasdale Dairy services
the greater Gauteng region and includes distribution as far a field as the North West Province and Mpumalanga.
Douglasdale products include fresh milk available in 500ml, 1L and 2L size in Full Cream, Low Fat and Fat
Free variants, Cream, Maas and Buttermilk.